Graha * Amsha * Bala
वकृत vakṛta [crooked]
Krzywy Domek (Crooked House) in Sopot, Poland
Sanskrit Vocabulary for Vakra
- crooked, curved, bent, tortuous, twisted, wry, oblique
- curled, curly (as hair)
- having an apparently backward motion, retrograde (said of planets)
- crooked in disposition, cunning, fraudulent, dishonest, evasive, ambiguous
- hostile, cruel, malignant, inauspicious
- The planet Mars; the planet Saturn
- Name of Rudra; of the Asura; of a Rakshasa
- A particular variation in the course of Mercury
- The winding course of a river, the arm or bend of a stream
- The apparent retrograde motion of a planet
- A form of fracture (when a bone is bent or only partially broken)
- crooked or winding course
- Apparent retrograde motion or retrogression (said of the course of a planet)
- moving the limbs, gesture
- behaviour, manner of life
- Action, activity, effort, endeavour, exertion
- doing, performing
- behaving, manner of life [end quote]
| UPAGRAHA in vakra * retrograde
QUOTATION from B.V. Raman , A Catechism of Astrology. p. 18
वकृत vakṛta vakrita [crooked]
retrograde * vakragati * vakri
- Vakragati [crooked-going] graha are said to obtain Chesta
Bala , gaining weight/value in their
vakri equivocating, prevaricating, lying
~~ Koeln Digital Sanskrit Lexicon
vak [in the Vedic form = vivakmi
] = vaGk = [connected with vaGkate] to be
crooked , go crookedly; to go,
roll . Cf. English
Astrologers opine variously on the matter of " bent" course of the planets.
When a graha reverses its normal forward movement and goes apparently
backwards, it is called vakragati = retrograde.
Some say that vakragati subha-graha are
improved; but papa-graha having
vakragati [crooked-going] are worsened.
Some say that retrograde motion connotes strength of effort, or the mandate to strengthen the effort: one must work even harder than normal to achieve the realization of the graha.
It is said that to accomplish the portfolio of the vakri graha will not be easy; but the fruits may be richer due to the
long-term effort required. Thus, periods of the retrograde planet will be exceptionally difficult and exceptionally fruitful.
It is said that retrograde graha possess
chesta bala, the life-force-energy of vital movement that is gained through exertion of effort.
| Q: What is the real effect of a vakri planet (malefic / benefic)? |
Some say a planet in vakri is not good and some say its okay and fine.
Some say that retrogression makes a planet strong
Some say a neecha planet or a malefic being vakri is very good and vice-versa (so does this mean a benefic like Guru being exalted and vakri becomes weak?)
Vakri = Positive or Negative?
The overall meanings of
vakra are neutral in terms of phenomena of nature -- e.g., the bend of a river, curly hair, or a fractured arm -- but negative in terms of moral action:
crooked in disposition, cunning, fraudulent, dishonest, evasive, ambiguous
hostile, cruel, malignant,
The vakri status gives endurance, stamina, and an extra push of willpower from the native who knows that the job is going to require some extra output.
If the graha is "bent on"
twisting the Learning Pathway, then the extra effort added to the torque can
increase the intensity.
If the graha is fundamentally stable - perhaps
the ruler of a kendra, or a kendra-from-Chandra, or parivartamsha status, or [nīcha-bhanga] , or otherwise
has characteristics of patience and determination --
then vakri motion can contribute to a favorable
outcome over the long haul.
Retrograde planets require the task to be done three times.
- There are three repetitions necessary with every vakri graha.
- However, because practice makes perfect the final result is good.
Retrograde graha (eventually) produce a stronger effect.
- One will be obliged to repeat the behaviors of the planet several times in order to gain the predicted effect;
- yet when the effect does materialize the results are strong.
What about retrograde Shani uttama in kalatra-bhava?retrograde * vakragati * vakri Shani
can be extremely strengthening.
- a retrograde placement for Shani often involves accepting an obligation or karmic duty; then rejecting that responsibility due to its being too weighty; then coming to understand that one must accept karmic obligations whether they are too weighty or not!
- One's experience of accepting the duty has been "practiced" three times and one matures into a greater wisdom for having repeated the drill.
- a retrograde placement for Mangala may involve pursuing a quarry - whether physical, mental, financial etc. At first the native moves with energy toward the conquest. Then one stops - it is too daunting, the vitality seems gone. Then a re-start and second burst of pursuit, which wins the competition.
Professor Shani's teaching methods
included pressurized repetition of the
restriction, delay, or austerity until the knowledge revealed within this learning pathway is understood; and retrograde graha also enforce repetition.
Kendra-7 is a splendid placement for [uchcha] Shani
who gains [dik-bala] there. This placement suggests strict loyalty to a contract and long-term success in making deals and bargains albeit with slow and steady
socially approved behavior -- rarelyr a fast or flashy or creative success.
Whatever lessons about time, age, carefulness, neutrality, scientific method, government, social institutions, public norms, structure of reality
et-cetera (Shani things) that must be learned (major karma is building trust in relationships)
it must be learned three times (retrograde * vakragati * vakri).famous examples
It might be useful to look at some famous examples, particularly from public figures who have lived a full life, to see what if any results occurred during the period of their retrograde planets.
India-PM 1917-1984 Martial Law Indira Gandhi
Her power-base of networking linkage Grew [Guru] during Guru Mahadasha.
- 9 father
- 5th-from-Surya father's politics
- 3rd-from-Chandra secretary, clerk
Guru-11parivartamsha Shukra-6 ++
- She was raising children [Guru] and serving as her father's political
- After her father's death in Guru-Shukra,
ING's power grew quickly.
Did her work in matters of 6 + 9 require more effort due to Guru's vakri status?
age 37.3 until age 54.3 = 1955-1971 = would have been an exceptionally demanding time in anyone's life
Guru's ruler Bhrigu
shad-ashtakya 6/8 from Guru
Her nativity is naturally very complex due to TRIPLE
Perhaps it could be speculated that without the
chesta bala life-force effort
produced by the vakri graha,
one might have been a more visible public figure during
- However, it is notable in Smt. Gandhi's Vimshottari Dasha timeline
that her most severe challenges
began with the Dec-1971 Pakistan War, almost immediately at the onset of her Shani
- The Emergency (martial law) and increasingly draconian rule
featured during Shani Mahadasha.
- The mahadasha of vakragati Brihaspati was a comparatively weaker in her style, much more
accommodating and concerned with humanistic principles [Guru] and
economics (11), which can be contrasted to the extreme governance duties
imposed during Shani Mahadasha.
Nevertheless, vakri makes little significant upon her Guru-Era
empowerments or performance.
How Readings Work * Sample Sacred Jewels Ratna Recommendation * Seva
file update =
Copyright © 1994-2024 by Barbara Pijan Lama * Contact * How to Request a Jyotishavidya Reading
Barbara Pijan Lama Jyotishavidya Vedic Astrology Surya Sun Chandra Moon Mangala Mars Budha Mercury Guru Jupiter
Shukra Venus Shani Saturn Rahu Ketu Graha Planets Dasha Timeline Calendar Nakshatra Navamsha Marriage Children Treasury Career Spiritual Wisdom Cycles of re-Death and re-Birth
The information on barbarapijan.com , including all readings and reports, is provided for educational purposes only. Wishing you every happiness and continuing success in studies!