| || ||
Graha * Amsha * Bala
Vakra * Vakragati * Vakri
Chesta Bala = Effort and Endurance
vakri equivocating, prevaricating, lying ~~ Koeln Digital Sanskrit Lexicon
vak [in the Vedic form = vivakmi ] = vaGk = [connected with vaGkate] to be crooked , go crookedly; to go, roll . Cf. English 'vacillate'.
Krzywy Domek (Crooked House) in Sopot, Poland
Sanskrit Vocabulary for Vakra:
- crooked, curved, bent, tortuous, twisted, wry, oblique
- curled, curly (as hair)
- having an apparently backward motion, retrograde (said of planets)
- crooked in disposition, cunning, fraudulent, dishonest, evasive, ambiguous
- hostile, cruel, malignant, inauspicious
- The planet Mars; the planet Saturn
- Name of Rudra; of the Asura; of a Rakshasa
- A particular variation in the course of Mercury
- The winding course of a river, the arm or bend of a stream
- The apparent retrograde motion of a planet
- A form of fracture (when a bone is bent or only partially broken)
- crooked or winding course
- Apparent retrograde motion or retrogression (said of the course of a planet)
- moving the limbs, gesture
- behaviour, manner of life
- Action, activity, effort, endeavour, exertion
- doing, performing
- behaving, manner of life
|UPAGRAHA in vakra* retrograde |
B.V. Raman , A Catechism of Astrology. p. 18
|retrograde * vakragati * vakri || |
Astrologers opine variously on the matter of " bent" course of the planets.
When a graha reverses its normal forward movement and goes apparently
backwards, it is called vakragati = retrograde.
Some say that vakragati subha-graha are improved; but papa-graha in
vakragati are worsened. Some say that retrograde motion connotes strength of effort, or the mandate to strengthen the effort: one must work even harder than normal to achieve the realization of the graha.
It is said that to accomplish the portfolio of the vakri graha will not be easy; but the fruits may be richer due to the long-term effort required. Thus, periods of the retrograde planet will be exceptionally difficult and exceptionally fruitful.
It is said that retrograde graha possess chesta bala, the life-force-energy of vital movement that is gained through exertion of effort.
| Q: What is the real effect of a vakri planet (malefic / benefic)?
Some say a planet in vakri is not good and some say its okay and fine.
Some say that retrogression makes a planet strong
Some say a nichhaplanet or a malefic being vakri is very good and vice-versa (so does this mean a benefic like Guru being exalted and vakri becomes weak?)
Vakri = Positive or Negative?
The overall meanings of
vakra are neutral in terms of phenomena of nature -- e.g., the bend of a river, curly hair, or a fractured arm -- but negative in terms of moral action:
crooked in disposition, cunning, fraudulent, dishonest, evasive, ambiguous
hostile, cruel, malignant,
My own view is that the vakri status gives endurance, stamina, and an extra push of willpower from the native who knows that the job is going to require some extra output.
If the graha is "bent on" doing evil, then the extra effort added to the evil-doing will simply increase the unhappiness.
But if the graha is fundamentally good via some traits - via perhaps bhava-lordship, or parivartamsha status, or nichha-bhanga, or otherwise well destined --
then vakri motion can contribute to a favorable
outcome over the long haul.
|three times |
Retrograde planets require the task to be done three times.
- There are three repetitions necessary with every vakri graha.
because practice makes perfect the final result is good.
|stronger effect |
Retrograde graha (eventually) produce a stronger effect.
- One will be obliged to repeat the behaviors of the planet several times in order to gain the predicted effect;
- yet when the effect does materialize the results are strong.
- a retrograde placement for Shani often involves accepting an obligation or karmic duty; then rejecting that responsibility due to its being too weighty; then coming to understand that one must accept karmic obligations whether they are too weighty or not!
- Thus one's experience of accepting the duty has been "practiced" three times and one matures into a greater wisdom for having repeated the drill.
- a retrograde placement for Mangala may involve pursuing a quarry - whether physical, mental, financial etc. At first the native moves with energy toward the conquest. Then one stops - it is too daunting, the vitality seems gone. Then a re-start and second burst of pursuit, which wins the competition.
|What about retrograde Shani uttama in kalatra-bhava? ||retrograde * vakragati * vakri Shani
can be extremely strengthening. |
Professor Shani's teaching methods
included pressurized repetition of the
restriction, delay, or austerity until the karmic lesson is understood; and retrograde graha also enforce repetition.
Kendra-7 is a splendid placement for uttama-Shani
who gains dig-bala there. This placement suggests strict loyalty to a contract and long-term success in making deals and bargains albeit with slow and steady
socially approved behavior -- rarelyr a fast or flashy or creative success.
Whatever lessons about time, age, carefulness, neutrality, scientific method, government, social institutions, public norms, structure of reality
et-cetera (Shani things) that must be learned (major karma is building trust in relationships)
it must be learned three times (retrograde * vakragati * vakri).
|famous examples ||It might be useful to look at some famous examples, particularly from public figures who have lived a full life, to see what if any results occurred during the period of their retrograde planets. |
| || |
India-PM 1917-1984 Indira Gandhi
Her power grew slowly during Guru Mahadasha.
- She was raising children (Guru rules 9) and
serving as her
father's political secretary (Guru rules 5th-from-Surya) during the Guru Mahadasha.
Overall these sixteen years were not high
visibility, but that modesty of ambition would be
expected given the modest rulerships 3-6-9-12.
Did the work require more effort due to Guru's vakri status?
It would have been an exceptionally demanding time in anyone's life, given the very challenging
service placement of Guru's ruler Professor Bright
shad-ashtakya 6/8 from Guru-11 in 6th-from-6th
Her nativity is naturally very complex due to the three
parivartamza yoga, including Guru-exchange-Zukra
Perhaps it could be speculated that without the
chesta bala life-force effort
produced by the vakri graha,
one might have been a more visible public figure during
- However it is notable in Smt. Gandhi's
Vimshottari Dasha timeline that her governance ascendancy
begins almost immediately at the onset of her Shani
Mahadasha. The mahadasha of vakragati
Brihaspati was a comparatively quiet time in her life, which can be
contrasted to the extreme public visibility and heavy governance duties
imposed during Shani Mahadasha where Shani-1 rules-and-exchanges with
lagnesha Chandra-7 in 10th-from-10th.
How Readings Work * Sample Gem Recommendation Report * Seva
Copyright © 1994-2024 by Barbara Pijan Lama * Contact* How to Request a Jyotisha Reading
Barbara Pijan Lama Jyotisha Vedic Astrology Surya Sun Chandra Moon Mangala Mars Budha Mercury Guru Jupiter
Zukra Venus Shani Saturn Rahu Ketu Graha Planets Dasha Timeline Nakshatra Navamsha Marriage Children Wealth Career Spiritual Wisdom Cycles of Lightbody-Lliftoff Death and Rebirth
The information on barbarapijan.com , including all readings and reports, is provided for educational purposes only. Wishing you every happiness and continuing success in studies!